Class of 1941
1941 Faculty and Staff
1941 Athletics
Class of 1942
Class of 1943
Class of 1944
Class of 1945
Class of 1946
Class of 1947
Class of 1948
Class of 1949
Class of 1950
Class of 1951
Class of 1952
Class of 1953
Class of 1954
Principals
Faculty and Staff Wall of Honor

 

Terrell High School Fighting Dragons

 

Epilogue

History 

School Song

School Poem

The Dragon Pep Song

 

 

 
Class of 1955
Class of 1956
Class of 1957
1957 Faculty and Staff
Class of 1958
Class of 1959
Class of 1960
Class of 1961
Class of 1962
Class of 1963
Class of 1964
Class of 1965
Class of 1966
Class of 1967
Class of 1968
Schoolmates
Class Reunions
School Desegregation Chronology
Anderson/Terrell Alumni History Quiz

Epilogue  

May 2000

The bulldozers began to tear away at the walls of the old Terrell School building. For blacks with roots in Denison dating back to the 1800s, this was no ordinary demolition. A symbol of more than a century of Denison Public School history would be gone forever. Although the physical buildings of Anderson, Terrell School, Langston, Walton and Wims no longer exist, the history and memories of the "separate but equal (segregated) schools" will live on. The history of these institutions is as much a part of Denison's history as Dwight D. Eisenhower's birth place.

Anderson and Terrell schools have produced many of the nations top Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Teachers, Ministers, War Veterans, and various other professionals who have made their mark on this nation's society and history.

This web site is dedicated to the memories of those that walked the halls and to the generations that follow.

History

Anderson School was constructed in 1886 at the corner of Mirick and Bond Street. It was the first city-supported school for Negro students in Denison ( The records also show that Quinn Chapel A.M.E. Church was first used as a school for Negroes with classes taught by an Englishman named Norman, who might have been a minister). The faculty consisted of Principal, W.R. Wims and Teachers: Clara Coleman, Laura Poole Johnson, and Clarice Riddles.

Terrell School was established in 1927 and named in honor of August H. Terrell of Denison, Texas. W.R. Wims, principal of then Anderson School was elected principal. In 1936, two classrooms, an auditorium, and a mechanical arts shop were added. In 1939 the elementary department of Anderson school moved to the Terrell campus. Seven rooms were added and a new and more spacious auditorium was built.

In 1939, M.S. Frazier was elected principal of the combined schools. The faculty consisted of the principle and fourteen assistants. The enrollment was 500 students. The 1941 yearbook was published and dedicated to instructor E.T. Hardeman. There were eleven grades required for graduation in 1941. The 1941 class was the last class to graduate in eleven years. The tenth grade class of 1941 was moved to grade twelve to adhere to a twelve year graduation curriculum.

In 1948, Cosmetology was added, and in 1949-50, a cafeteria was added. In 1953, four classrooms, band room, gymnasium and physical education classrooms were added.

E.T. Hardeman was elected principal in 1954. The faculty consisted of the principal, twenty assistants, and an enrollment of 472. In 1954 the principal's office was enlarged to include an outer office with an extension telephone.

In 1957, special education classes and six additional classrooms were added. In 1957 the name Terrell was placed on the East Side of the building.

In 1959, the name Terrell was placed on the West Side of the building. In 1960 the library was renovated, and equipped with new furniture, visual materials, a workroom, and books for the elementary and high school departments. In 1961 Spanish was added to the high school curriculum. In 1962 Spanish was added to the elementary curriculum. The faculty consisted of the principal. 27 assistants, and an enrollment of 566.

In 1963 a new "Wims" elementary building was constructed at 700 W. Elm Street. Two grades and 4 teachers were moved to Wims Elementary School. Miss Viola Hilliard was supervising Teacher. The principal's office was moved to a new location and enlarged. The old office was converted into a faculty room and office for visiting teachers. The visiting teachers office was later changed into a faculty lounge.

In the 1965-66 school year, approximately 90 students on Junior and Senior level transferred to other schools in the district due to a court ordered desegregation. Some members of the faculty were assigned to other schools in the district.              

In 1967-68 grades 10,11 and 12 were moved to the Denison High School , beginning the first phase of integration.

1967-68 was the last year that Terrell School operated as a predominately African American school with 8 grade levels. The school remained closed for one year and was re-opened as middle school housing grades 6 and 7.

Former Terrell students later served in the Armed Services in both wars (WW II & Korean conflict). Some became doctors, lawyers, dentists, ministers, teachers, nurses, businessmen and women, professional Civil Service men and servants in all walks of life.

 

School Colors: Maroon and White

School Song  

I

Dear Terrell we hail thee, all praise to thy name. Thy banners unfurl to thy breeze, Thy children salute thee and pledge to thy fame, Like soldiers who drink to the lees.

II

All around thee arise the first temples of God. Lifting high, leafy arms to the sky. While we pledge to thee daily to cherish and guard - All the lessons we've learned in thy halls.

III

To the youth of our town, to the youth of our race. Thou art ever a tower of strength, and in years of the future in hours of strife. We shall draw from thee wisdom and grace.

IV

Thou art more a than a name, Thou art more than cold stone, Thou art spirit and beauty and light - And the standards we raised in the years 'neath thy dome. Are the standards for which we shall fight.

Tune: "Believe me if all those endearing young charms"

langston.gif (253588 bytes)

Anderson School

Terrell School Song

Langston School

Website design by:
Ollie Buckner
Contact
 

Return to Top

 Contributors

Drewey D. McKnight Jr. - Anderson/Terrell History
Tana Potts Ross
Ronald Wilson
Sheryl Fennell Moore
James and Barbara Clark
Anita Buckner Freeman
Melba Luper Darthard
Lovey Pough Jr.
Learline Buckner Beaty
Wilbert Malvern

Mrs. J. L. Criss  - 46, 57 Dragon Yearbooks    
Jerlean Fennell Coffey - School Desegregation
Cora Lee Bell - Anderson/Terrell History

Matthew H. Groce - Anderson/Terrell History
Effie McShan Bowden
Zandra Rucker Albury
Roger Butler, Class of 58                                                             
Eugene Butler, Class of 52                                                               
Lois Platt Johnson, Class of 52                                                      
Betty Butler, Class of 52
Harold Allen, Class of 51
Lydia 

 

Home